In addition to its administrative archive and documentation of individual works the Foundation also holds documents concerning the Giacometti family, donated mainly by Bruno Giacometti:
- letters from Alberto to his family
- 53 letters from Alberto to Lucas Lichtenhan, his mentor in Schiers
- additional letters from Alberto
- manuscript of The Dream, the Sphinx and the Death of T. (published by Donat Rütimann in 2005)
- diverse memorabilia
- documentation of the life and work of Giovanni Giacometti, including letters from Cuno Amiet and correspondence with collectors (published by Viola Radlach, Zurich, in 2000 and 2003, respectively)
The documentation may be viewed by appointment at the Prints and Drawings Collection of the Kunsthaus Zürich.
Comprehensive documentation of the life and work of Alberto Giacometti is held at the Fondation Alberto et Annette Giacometti in Paris, which draws on the artist’s estate and was established as a research centre in 2003 in accordance with the wishes of his widow. For a broad overview of its holdings see the exhibition catalogue L’atelier d’Alberto Giacometti published by the Centre Pompidou, Paris, in 2007. For details visit www.fondation-giacometti.fr.
Self-Portrait, around 1963
Pencil, 50.5 x 32.9 cm